This part describes Preliminary and Basic Services normally provided by an architect. These services progress through work stages based on RIBA Plan of Work (RIBA
Publications Ltd, 2007)
Stages A and B: Inception and feasibility
- Discuss the client’s requirements; assess these and give general advice on how to proceed.
- Advise on any need for specialist contractors, subcontractors or suppliers.
- Carry out such preparatory work as may be necessary to determine the feasibility of the client’s requirements.
Preliminary Services are normally charged on a time basis.
stages C and D: Outline proposal and scheme design
- Prepare outline proposal and develop a scheme design; prepare a cost estimate; where applicable give an indication of possible start and completion dates for the building
- Make where required application for planning permission. (NB The permission itself is beyond the architect’s control and no guarantee that it will be granted can be given.)
E: Detail design
- Develop the scheme design; co-ordinate any work of specialist contractors, sub-contractors or suppliers.
- Carry out cost checks as necessary; advise on the consequences of any subsequent changes on the cost and programme.
- Make and negotiate where required applications for approvals under building acts, regulations or other statutory requirements.
stages F and G: Production information
- Prepare production information including drawings, schedules and specification of materials and workmanship in sufficient detail to enable a contractor to prepare a tender.
Stages H, J, K and L: Tender to completion
- Invite tenders from approved contractors; advise on tenders submitted. Alternatively arrange for a price to be negotiated with a contractor.
- Advise on the appointment of the contractor; where required prepare the building contract and arrange for it to be signed by the client and the contractor.
- Administer the terms of the building contract; visit the site as appropriate to inspect generally the progress and quality of the work; make where required periodic financial reports to the
- Administer the terms of the building contract relating to the completion of the works; give general guidance on maintenance; provide a set of ‘AS BUILT’ drawings for operation and
maintenance of the building.
If you would like to discuss your particular project with us:
Call us on 01452 810830.